Monday 23 June 2008

Week One


I am a writer. I am writing a new play for Nottingham Playhouse. So far I have written the ending of the play. So as someone pointed out all I have to do is get to the beginning and then it will be finished. I don’t know what I’m writing yet but I think it’s got something to do with statues. It’s about what gets left behind when you die and how you remember loss. It's about cricket. It's about politics. It's about relationships between countries and people breaking down. It's about teams and hierarchies and class and sport. It's about ashes. I've been having some problems getting started because I've had my mind on other projects but now I have a desk in a studio for three months before the deadline and I thought I would keep this blog as documentation of a process that often remains private. It is also a conscious effort to keep busy. To keep writing. To keep typing. To stop myself drifting off and throwing a cricket ball up and down. So here goes. Time to start writing The Ashes. Someone is sitting on a bench. On the bench is a plaque that reads 'Sit with me for a moment and remember.' This is the beginning and the end of the play. By the way - it's called The Ashes - The story of the play because this is what it said in news reports at the time the play is set. So in a way - this is the story of the story of the play.

No comments: